Friday, September 25, 2009

Amazing

I thought I'd let you all (18 of you now!) know how I am doing with my ankle brace.

If I were a normal person... But I'm not so that doesn't matter...

Anyway, I've been wearing this ankle brace for most of my waking hours since I bought it. It fits mostly okay, and it reduces the movement I have in my ankle. However, it goes from about the middle of my foot to about 1/4 of the way up my calf, and in so doing, it does not restrict enough of the movement in my ankle, and it does absolutely nothing beneficial for the looseness of the bones in my foot.

I was walking around, slowly, with my ankle brace on, and I had a feeling, almost like a charlie horse in my foot. Almost. It didn't go away, so I had to go sit down and see what was going on. When I got my shoe off and looked at my foot, it looked wrong. I poked around, gently, and I managed to simultaneously find and fix the problem. It was a dislocated joint in my foot.
The one that's circled in red to be precise (but on my left foot). It doesn't feel nice when you dislocate that...

After that little episode, I've been extra careful how long I stand with any weight on that foot with my brace on, and I actually managed to do all my dishes without dislocating anything!

Another wonderful thing about my ankle brace, is the hole they have for my heel to poke through... It's just big enough to be troublesome. It seems to direct my heel to the outside, without doing anything to the rest of my foot. I find that especially when I'm sitting with my feet flat on the floor, it feels like my ankle wants to fold in on itself, starting with the heel.

I also managed a highly improbable sublux while wearing my brace, in the exact spot where it REALLYFREAKINGHURTS, because I was taking off my shoes. Once the shoes were off, and I'd wiped my tears on my sleeve, I tightened my brace, and that helped for an hour or so.

Still really considering the whole cast option, as I still have problems sleeping without moving...

On another note, I had an itch between my shoulder blades yesterday, and I reached to scratch it with my left hand... (Stupid!!!) and I subluxed my shoulder in a way that caused my entire arm to go numb, tingling, and very weak for a few hours. You'd think I'd know by now NOT to use my left arm for reaching... But you'd be wrong, even geniuses have blonde moments...

2 comments:

BubbleGirl said...

Just an update, I also have 2 injuries directly from the brace, a blister on my ankle, and what appears to be a cut from the top of the brace, or an abrasion from where the knot is in the lace.

OzarksUSA said...

I have problems with the same joint in my foot. I wrap mine in Ace Bandages. I mentioned your blog in my blog because I think it's awesome. :-) I've learned a lot about EDS. I get tested in April, hopefully sooner. For now my dx is Fibro and HMS. Take care!