Monday, October 24, 2011

Cold Season, As Usual

I've been sick for about 3 weeks. Not anything too bad, but energy-sucking nonetheless. It's been cold-type body aches, chest tightness, coughing, can't get to seep, etc. and I've had enough of it.

I would prefer the types of colds I got as a kid. The ones where you're really sick for 3-5 days, you take those days off, lay in bed, eat some soup, then you feel better. Not this really mild, but horribly exhausting blah that I've been getting the last few years.

Also, I have a new twitch in my left eye, which seems to have developed along with pretty bad light sensitivity and dryness.

It turns out that my suspected dislocated rib/sternum, was in fact 2 dislocated ribs at the sternum. They have since gone back in, and popped back out, and gone back in again. The shoulder twitching is not getting better, and my joints seem to be getting looser and looser.

I've been dislocating both shoulders every night while I'm asleep, along with my left collar bone, ribs at my sternum, and at my spine, both hips, jaw... There is no position I can sleep in without dislocating something. I've been piling my bed with pillows, and comforters, and blankets, and nothing seems to help. Even going to bed heavily medicated doesn't do it. It feels like so many things would be so much better if I could just sleep.

I spent my entire allotment of spoons this weekend on making stew and cleaning the dishes. The rest of the time I spent flopping around like a fish out of water trying to get comfortable, and snoozing on and off.

It's time to start mattress shopping. I need to go lay on about 100 different mattresses for a bit to see if aything is comfortable.

3 comments:

misspiggy said...

Tempur all the way (assuming you don't already have one?) Get a full Tempur mattress, not a mattress topper, and get a firmer one rather than one of the luxury soft ones. Don't go with cheaper versions. Expensive, but utterly worth it from a dislocation avoidance and minimising nighttime choking point of view. Beg, borrow or steal if finances are tight: believe me you won't regret it!

BubbleGirl said...

I have a relatively old mattress, on top of another relatively old mattress, on top of 2 box springs (because my crazy tall husband needs a crazy tall bed). These mattresses are worn out, and my hubby needs firmness to sleep, and I need softness to sleep. I don't know if we'll ever find a mattress that fits both of us, unless it's a dual control adjustable firmness deal, and those are a bit out of our price range at the moment.

I'm thinking a 30-day trial would be nice, so at least I would know if I liked it before dishing out all that money. I'l have to check into it...

Niki said...

I also have EDS, and just went through pretty much exactly what you describe with you eye. My left eye tear duct was clogged, and when they tried to flush it they found my puncta was so tiny they couldn't get the flushing needle in the duct. The pressure was also a wee bit hi. The duct is finally clear again though, thank goodness.