Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Guess What I Finally Did?

I climbed a freakin' mountain! I am so proud of me!

I decided on Friday that I was going to climb a mountain on Saturday. I texted my mom to see if she was up for it, and Saturday morning at 9:30 we set out.

That's a picture of my toes and the wonderful view from inside the ice caves at Moose Mountain.

There is a 6km hike from the parking lot to the base of the mountain, then the trek up the mountain, exploring the cave, falling carefully down the shale to get down the mountain, then the 6km trek back to the car. All of this took 11 hours from the time mom picked us up until we were back at home. "We" being my husband and I, my mom and step-dad. They also picked up my Opa's mobility scooter for the 6km each direction, but it ran out of power on the way back, and we mostly used it to transport supplies like snacks, first aid and lots of water.

After returning home, I took some pain meds, and went to bed. I stayed in bed mostly asleep for 17 hours. It was necessary recovery time... I spent all day yesterday relaxing, and had a really long hot shower (after waking up from another 12-13 hours of sleep)... Sitting in the tub, because my legs didn't want me to stand that long... But considering all of the obstacles that have kept me from climbing that mountain for a DECADE, I'm really proud of myself for making it all the way.

Most ridiculous part of the trip? No injuries for me! No dislocations, subluxations, just a tiny little scrape on my thumb knuckle. My step-dad fell partway down the mountain... only 10 or 15 feet. And it was more of a roll, recover, roll, recover. He got a couple of scrapes on his elbows. My mom apparently did almost the same thing. She had to throw the bag she was carrying in order to not fall. Hubby only got the extreme muscle/joint aches, as well as the exhaustion. We also took mom's puppy (he just turned 1 on Thursday last week) and he made it all the way up to the caves without injury, and as soon as we got back to the car he passed out on the back seat... Only to be awoken by the smells of beef jerky.

Today is my 4th anniversary being married to my hubby, and we're still making people sick with all of our lovey-dovey hand holding, and the fact that we don't fight. Ever. Yay us!

It's been a pretty amazing weekend, and a pretty amazing 4 years with my hubby. I think I found my groove.

Hoping all of you are finding your slice of happy on this wonderful September day!


Arinai said...

Yay! That's really awesome. I know I can barely walk 1 mile. I'd never be able to make it up a mountain. Congrats!

BubbleGirl said...

Thanks! I didn't think I'd ever be able to do it again either. I've been planning this mountain adventure for 10 years. Each and every time until last weekend it was cancelled due to injury, weather, or both. I finally did it though, and it feels so wonderful to accomplish something that big :)

Achelois said...